"I TRULY believe we can overwhelm the darkness of this world by shining something BRIGHTER and more BEAUTIFUL."

January 15, 2011

safe & sound

I realize I’m doing a terrible job keeping you all updated, so for that I apologize. I’ve been with a medical team for the past week, which has made both extra time and internet access limited.

I’m currently back in Seguin with Kyle, safe and sound. I thought I was going to fall off a cliff the entire two hour ride up the mountain on a moto, though. Jenna, feel free to be proud.

This past week has been incredibly busy. I’m on fairly little sleep each day, but thankfully Haitians love their coffee as much as I do! At the beginning of the trip, I was still on Australia time, which was a major problem. I went four days on a total of 9 hours of sleep. I was pretty delirious at times, much to everyone’s amusement.



I’ve been up in Seguin with the medical team Jen brought. We spent most of our time at the clinic and finished the week at an orphanage in Jacmel. I learned that I am indeed still horrible at soccer, but it was great fun. The kids are adorable, but I’m sure you guessed that.


A typical day:
We wake up when the sun comes up 6:00 a.m., which I actually love. We have a couple hours of time to ourselves before the clinic opens around 8:00. My team has been waking up to see the sunrises (… I managed to wake up once…), going on hikes, and just enjoying the incredible view:


I found a secret spot for myself on the roof where no one seems to find me. It’s wonderful.

Clinic goes until around lunch time. Four years of French has allowed me to understand some Creole, but there’s still a huge language barrier that makes life pretty interesting. I’m a pro at saying “stand on the scale please” and “sit there.” ...And that’s pretty much all I got. After helping out at the clinic, my team has either been taking shifts at the Cholera Treatment Unit down the hill or helping Kyle organize medical supplies.



The Cholera Treatment Unit:
Cholera hasn’t quite hit Seguin and the treatment unit is understaffed as a result. I’ve learned a lot already. My experience is pre-hospital care, so there is much for me to learn as far as treatment here goes. My IV skills are definitely improving though. Jen and I not only practiced on each other, but on ourselves as well. A little odd practicing in the middle of a Cholera treatment unit...




I was at the Cholera Unit on January 12, the anniversary of the earthquake. I honestly didn’t realize what day it was until Jen and I found a nurse crying in one of the treatment tents. This country is still so devastated, especially emotionally. I am up in the mountains most of the time, but we did land in Port-au-Prince last week. Piles of trash, rubble, and political slogans everywhere you look. Tents lined the streets, packing with displaced Haitians with no place to go.


I’m kind of in love with this place. I draw far more attention than I like though.

Some of my favorite things so far:

1.       My team last week. Everyone had such unique ways in which they contributed, and they were all goofballs. The first night we were at the clinic, we had pancakes for dinner. We all stood around the table eating pancakes with our hands. Oddly enough it’s what I do at home, and it made me happy.
2.      Hiking. I’m far more active than I am in Wilmington, and I love it. The views are incredible, and it’s such a great way to run into people. We hiked an hour or two to get bread, a moment that made me realize how different this life is here. I definitely miss certain things, like showering (it’s dry season here so water conservation is a must), certain foods, and a comfy bed. That might be it though. I’m perfectly content living much simpler than usual.
3.      Church service at Faith and Love in Action Orphanage in Jacmel. I'm still in awe of the whole experience. I don't think I've ever witnessed such beautiful, authentic worship. Why is this so lacking back home? Their voices are beautiful. The children were adorable. We spent all service stealing glances and exchanging smiles and waves.

Life here is definitely different (culture shock to be honest), but I am having fun embracing it all. Miss you.

Love, Janae

1 comment: