"I TRULY believe we can overwhelm the darkness of this world by shining something BRIGHTER and more BEAUTIFUL."

January 7, 2011

haiti-bound

I leave for Haiti in the morning!

The last couple days have been a rush of laundry, repacking, and goodbyes. Oh, and my ceiling leaking water in the middle of the night! I've managed to get about 6 hours of sleep in 72 hours, so at this point I'm beginning to black out and see spots while standing up. Don't worry, I'm going to bed momentarily. Promise. We leave at 4:30 a.m. tomorrow (bummer), and should be in Port-au-Prince by early afternoon!


Last goodbyes.
For those of you who don’t know much about my trip, here’s why I'm going…

The illogical reason: I was at a point in life where I was making pretty big decisions. I was unsure about several things, including going on this trip, that I decided to let go of the wondering and worrying. I promised myself I’d go to Haiti if my newfound friend Jen happened to message me (we hadn’t talked in a few months). Of course I got a message the very next day. Plans got set in motion.

The logical reason: One look at the news, and it is obvious Haiti is still hurting. The earthquake last January left this country absolutely devastated. With the recent Cholera outbreak that has taken more than 3,000 lives, there is so much suffering there. I was given the opportunity to go to Haiti so I took it! I plan on staying for just under five weeks, spending my time at a clinic in Seguin called Cloud Forest Medical Clinic.

Going on a trip like this is so exciting to me because it’s a wonderfully tangible way of showing love. Actions speak louder than words, do they not? I’ve been so blessed. I would like to turn around and bless others who aren’t as lucky as I am.

A side-note to my family and friends:
Thank you truly for all your support. I am incredibly grateful for all the unique ways in which you’ve contributed. Whether it was through financial help, encouragement, prayers, endless conversations, help planning, or contributing supplies…it means the world to me. I am truly blessed because of you.
I will miss you while I’m away.

Love, Janae

3 comments:

  1. sounds like you're taking some big steps of faith. I think that if you discipline your time (which you're good at) to include daily reading of Scripture, God will "message" you too. I wonder what that will be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for keeping us updated! I just went through and read all of them! It really gives us all hope and faith to see you walk in such faith! Please be careful over there, we all miss you and I will keep up with you on here, and see you soon!!! Im very blessed to have such courageous friends who inspire me to also travel the world, which is a desire of mine!!

    Love you
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: Sorry Im not anonymous lol I have never left a comment.. I figured it out!

    ReplyDelete