"I TRULY believe we can overwhelm the darkness of this world by shining something BRIGHTER and more BEAUTIFUL."

January 1, 2011

Melbourne

Hello from Melbourne, Australia!

Unfortunately, I haven't had that much access to internet. Since my last post, we’ve been to Ayers Rock, Alice Springs, and Melbourne! No photos this time friends, sorry.

Ayers Rock:
Holy heat! We were in the desert for two days, walking around in 104 degree weather. I wish I could show you pictures - it was worth the heat. A highlight: we celebrated our New Years under the stars. The night was called “Sounds of Silence” which included dinner and stargazing in the middle of the desert. The sky was so clear, Jupiter and the part of the Milky Way were visible. I should also mention that we had dinner with hundreds of friends…and by friends, I mean bugs. I left my wine for a minute or two, and found about five bugs in my glass. They were hitting our heads, hopping across the table, and landing on our plates. Needless to say, I do believe I am over any fear of bugs I previously had.

Alice Springs:
I think we were all happy to leave the desert and find slightly cooler weather. We drove six hours by bus to Alice Springs. We were supposed to visit their Royal Flying Doctor Service, but it was closed for the holidays. As you might expect, remote regions of Australia rely heavily on this emergency service.

Melbourne:
            This morning, we took a flight from Alice Springs to Melbourne, which is our last stop. Our flight got in fairly late today with the time change, so we went straight to dinner...on a restaurant tram that took us through the city!

I have just 5 days. They will be spent visiting Melbourne, flying from Australia to Wilmington, seeing some friends and saying some last minute goodbyes, driving to Raleigh, and getting on a plane to Port-au-Prince Haiti. I'm not sure whether I'm more excited or anxious at this point. I think I'm ready to be home for a couple days.

Love, Janae

1 comment:

  1. You've read enough of my scene descriptions to write without photos!

    ReplyDelete