"I TRULY believe we can overwhelm the darkness of this world by shining something BRIGHTER and more BEAUTIFUL."

January 18, 2011

lessons

The past few days have been far more lowkey. The team I arrived in Haiti with left Saturday morning, Clayton went back to the States for a week and half, and Chris pretty much lives at the CTU (Cholera Treatment Unit). Kyle is therefore my source of sanity! I still don't understand enough Creole to understand what is going on around me.

Yesterday was a long day. We opened the clinic in the morning, managed to fit in a nap, and then went to the CTU for six hours. We met a team with Doctors Without Borders, who set up the Unit and plans to help out in various ways as they track Cholera here. We've been promised a care package by the end of the week. I requested peanut butter :). The CTU will make you feel a little trapped after a while. Walking out when our shift was over at 8:00 was a wonderful feeling! We went back to the clinic to find working internet, for which I am thankful. It allowed me time to catch up with friends (...and rot my brain on facebook for a bit).



A massive to do list saved the day yesterday.
With so much to do, it felt wonderful to be able to
cross off what we accomplished. One step at a time.


I'll go ahead and admit I'm a little homesick today. I think being sick adds to the feeling. I'm simply drained of energy and out of coughdrops!

Thoughts of the day:

1. It didn't take long to realize the necessity of going with the flow in Haiti. Very little goes as planned, and that's okay. My time here will teach me patience.

2. I am spoiled. From owning a car to having heat and water... I take so much for granted back home. These are things we come to expect in the States, when here, they are luxuries. The other day, Kyle and I spent a good part of the morning just trying to pump more water. We ran out of water and we ran out of electricity. I've never had to conserve water the way I do now.


3. My time here will teach me to depend less on myself on more on God.


I've been in Haiti 11 days.
Haiti is already teaching and changing me.


Love, Janae

No comments:

Post a Comment