"I TRULY believe we can overwhelm the darkness of this world by shining something BRIGHTER and more BEAUTIFUL."

June 18, 2011

m'ap vini

My last couple days in Seguin were spent delivering water purification systems. Think geogaching. We found each home using coordinates on a handheld GPS (we, meaning not me... I refused to help with this part due to my terrible sense of direction), gave them a bucket, and taught them how to use it properly.

Seguin has been unusually sunny. I was beginning to think that reports of endless rain and no electricity were lies...until the day we got poured on. Small rivers of water flowed over my shoes and rain slowly collected in the water buckets I was carrying. We were quite the sight, ponchos and rainjackets all in a row, trying to book it back to the clinic.





We left Seguin Friday morning. I found myself saying "m'ap vini" (I am coming back) a million times. All the kids wanted to know that I was coming back. This kills me. This is what gets me thinking about the pros and cons of mission work. You spend time somewhere, only to grow attached to the people there, who in turn grow attached to you. What happens when you leave? What happens if you cannot make that ultimate committment by staying longterm? Does the good outweigh the bad?

Highlights:

1. Throwing Kyle a surprise going away party, complete with a cake and glowsticks. It was pretty fantastic.
2. Successfully finishing our public health project and delivering all our water purification buckets.
3. Giving a lesson to the kids at a school next door about dental hygiene.
4. An interesting (as always) ride down the mountain with 12 or so people crammed into and onto one truck.
5. Spending time at Hands and Feet Orphanage playing with the babies in the nursery.
6. Pizza night at Cyvadier Hotel.
7. A Saturday morning spent saying goodbyes, taking a long nap, and jumping in the ocean.
8. Nick and Gwenn being wonderful, spoiling me with things like pizza and a bed with a pillow.

Goodbye Seguin...just for now. 



M'ap vini.

Love, Janae

No comments:

Post a Comment