"I TRULY believe we can overwhelm the darkness of this world by shining something BRIGHTER and more BEAUTIFUL."

January 26, 2011

abandoning the comfortable

Hello. Join me in my view of Seguin tonight?


Lately, I've been spending most of my time at the CTU. The place is growing on me. It's a place where I can help. It's a place of wonderful solitude.

This morning, I had a 3 year old girl come in with moderate dehydration. She was such a precious little thing, and it hurt my heart every time she had to throw up. For three hours, I sat in a chair a few feet away from her and her mother reading, praying, journaling, and monitoring her. I needed to know just how much fluid she was taking in, and how much she was losing. She was so little and helpless, I felt like I was abandoning her every time I walked away. So I stayed. If anything, I wanted her to know I cared and that I loved her, even though I didn't know her.

I also got to thinking today... about how drastically different my two worlds are. I have my life in Wilmington, and I have a life here in Haiti. Haiti has shown me a lot about life outside the States. I'm glad to rid myself of my ignorance. I'm seeing the living conditions, the malnutrition, the lack of healthcare that defines a huge part of this world.

I think Christianity in America has become way too comfortable. It's all about soaking up the hope Christianity offers, but disregarding what Scripture commands: to live a life for others. To love our neighbors. To serve the poor. Instead, we live happy, comfortable, spoiled lives. It's all about the American dream, right? Living a life in pursuit of anything different would be too difficult. Too radical. Too unnerving. Too uncomfortable.

“I could not help but think that somewhere along the way we had missed what is radical about our faith and replaced it with what is comfortable. We are settling for Christianity that revolves around catering to ourselves when the central message of Christianity is actually about abandoning ourselves.” (Platt)

I fear we're taking the encouragement and leaving behind the challenges. We are acknowledging God with our words but not our actions. We walk right out the door and deny Him with our lifestyle.

I want to stop being so comfortable.

Join me?

Love, Janae

2 comments:

  1. AHHHH!!! Welcome to fireball status, my love. This might be my favorite post you've written yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your post, Love Platt, Love God and I will join you in our abandonment! Hope you're doing superb...I think of you often in my new "home". xoxo

    ReplyDelete