"I TRULY believe we can overwhelm the darkness of this world by shining something BRIGHTER and more BEAUTIFUL."

December 28, 2010

Cairnes

Hello from Cairnes, Australia!


The last couple days have been full of sight-seeing. I should probably add shopping, too much walking, and getting lost to the list as well.

Sydney was beautiful and full of history, but it was time for us to move on. This morning, we took a three hour flight north to Cairnes, which is famous for its Great Barrier Reef. Cairnes actually flooded this past week, so we're crossing our fingers the rain is taking a break for the next few days.


Fun fact: Australians use the word “pop” in amusing ways. “Please pop up your hand.” “Let’s pop in over there.” I think I might adopt the word into my own vocabulary.


I couldn’t help but notice: 000 in Australia is equivalent to our 911. The paramedics here also drive around in oversized vans wearing blue jumpsuits. Yup. I imagined myself running around in a bright blue jumpsuit and I silently thanked my department for allowing us to wear t-shirts.

 


Tomorrow we take a catamaran cruise to Moore Reef to snorkel above the Great Barrier Reef. Ridiculously excited are two words that come to mind.

Always in the back of mind is Haiti. The death toll is nearing 3,000, with nearly 70,000 "hospitalizations". I feel almost guilty at times being on a vacation like this. I am thankful for both: the chance to relax and explore such a beautiful country...and the chance to help in a place that's hurting.

Hope everyone I left in Wilmington is doing wonderfully. I miss you all.

Love, Janae

3 comments:

  1. I'm sad there is no shot of you in a blue Jumper in the back of their ambulance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Janae,

    Glad to hear you are having such a wonderful time. You need this vacation before you go to Haiti so that your mind and body is refreshed. I know that you are going to bring a kind, caring, and joyful presence to so many who or sick and hurting.We miss you and can't wait for you to come back to Wilmington.

    Love,

    Abby, Jamie, and Olivia Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scotland wore green jumper suits. :) I looked gooooood.

    ReplyDelete