"I TRULY believe we can overwhelm the darkness of this world by shining something BRIGHTER and more BEAUTIFUL."

June 25, 2011

an early return

A sweet send-off:
After spending the day painting homes and praying for families, everyone staying at the compound headed down to church for Worship Night. Half the "congregation" was Haitian . . . the other half, American. Worshipping together, in a sweet mix of both Creole and English, was an incredible thing to be a part of. I wouldn't have chosen any other way to end my time in Haiti.

A not so sweet send-off:
Speaking of ending my time in Haiti, I actually left a few days early. I didn't want to needlessly worry you all, so I kept this a little known fact. I ended up getting pretty sick soon after arriving in Titanyen. No big deal, I thought. I figured it would pass. And then as I got worse I started hoping it would pass. And then I started praying it would pass. Instead of getting better, I continued to get worse, so I made the decision to fly home early. What followed was a ridiculous amount of sleep, a visit to an urgent care, some bloodwork, and no answers. I figured as much, but it was worth a try. It was a bit of a scare, but I'm definitely on the mend. I'm sad my trip got cut short, but I made the right decision and I'm happy to be home.

As always, my time in Haiti teaches, changes, and renews me. What I find funny is that we go to places like Haiti to offer some kind of help, in hopes that what we do is making some small difference in the lives of people there . . . except, I always come back feeling like I'm the changed one.

For now, it's back to the hustle and bustle of life back in Wilmington : class, work, and grad school applications. The transition is always a bit difficult, and I'm already missing Haiti, but I know I'll be back. There's just something about that place. I just can't seem to stay away.

The end.


1 comment:

  1. It's not the end. Just another beginning.

    ReplyDelete